Many New Year’s resolutions involve looking toward the future in a more positive light. After a year that may have thrown us a few curve balls, it’s the outlook we need. Unfortunately, only about 8% of us actually follow through with our New Year’s resolutions*. We start strong, and ultimately cannot follow through, but it does not have to be this way. Here are a few tips to keep your resolve:
- Keep it Simple – Many people make resolutions that are overly complex or even extreme. These are usually doomed from the start. Don’t shoot for the moon or try to knock off everything on your bucket list. Start small so the task doesn’t seem as daunting.
- Make it Tangible – Setting ambitious resolutions can be inspiring, but the difficulty in achieving them means that your elation can quickly give way to frustration. Set achievable goals with specific action steps and check points that you can track regularly. Thinking about running a race like a 10K of half marathon? Download a training plan from the internet and map out your schedule to set yourself up for success. Planning a vacation? Make a budget now and determine how much you need to save each month to make it happen without incurring more debt.
- Make Yourself Accountable – Share your goals with your friends and family. It is another way to build accountability, especially in the Facebook era. Start a blog and post updates to leverage the power of social media to stay on course. Are you more introverted or private? No problem, make a vision board or keep a diary to track your progress and review it when you need motivation.
- Use The Buddy System – Partner with your spouse or a friend on a joint resolution. You are more likely to stay on track when you have someone next to you who shares the same goals. Share successes and keep each other motivated. This can be as simple as you and your spouse making your lunches together for the week instead of eating out to cut fast food calories or save some money.
- Celebrate Small Victories – Set an intermediate goal in your resolution. Once you accomplish it, recognize it and celebrate appropriately. This will keep you motivated on your journey.
- Don’t Stop Believing – Yes, this is also an epic song by Journey. But did you know that simply setting a goal could raise your chance of achieving that goal significantly? As a wise man once said, you miss 100% of the shots you never take. Believe in yourself and great things will happen.
Good luck on your resolutions and Happy New Year!
*Statistics Brain Research institute – http://www.statisticbrain.com/new-years-resolution-statistics/