The holidays are in full swing, and so is the shopping season. Millions of Americans are hitting the streets and the web to hunt down deals. You may have your eyes on the prize, but criminals are looking for ways to take advantage while you are vulnerable and distracted.
Here are some ways to keep you, your car and your home safe this holiday season:
- Carry only credit cards you need. Avoid carrying large amounts of cash.
- Carefully consider what you post on social media. You may be tempted to share the amazing time you are having on vacation, or the deal of the century you just purchased, but you are also letting the whole world know you are not home.
- Leave the lights on while you are away, or set timers. The more it looks like someone is home, the less lightly someone will try to get inside.
- Keep valuables out of plain sight. When storing items purchased at the stores in your car, put them in a locked trunk.
- Always park in a well lit and well traveled area.
- Have your keys in hand when approaching your vehicle. You will be ready to unlock the door and will not be delayed by fumbling and looking for your keys.
- When you return to your vehicle, scan the interior of your car to be sure no one is hiding inside.
- Don’t resist if someone tries to take any of your belongings. Don’t chase someone who robs you, they may have a weapon. Call 911.
When in doubt, use common sense. Be aware of your surroundings and remember these tips when out and about this holiday season.